Tuesday, October 24, 2006

An Introduction

"Silly things do cease to be silly if they are done by sensible people in an impudent way."
-Jane Austen, Emma


Well! While I can only guess whether or not I am a truly sensible person, I feel as though I can say that blogs are, without a doubt, silly. I enjoy the idea of a free democracy of ideas and the immediacy of this new communication, but I'm also aware that a kook with a blog is an even harder kook to ignore than one without. Now that we've settled that, I'd like to go on record and say that I in no way intend to make the blogosphere a better place thanks to my presence, or mean to say that it will be less silly with my contribution. On the contrary, I'm probably going to make it a tad bit more ridiculous than it was before I came into it. I just like to think that among the utter nonsense, there will be the occasional moment of clarity. Emphasis on the occasional, of course. Also, impudence will abound, so really the quote works quite well, no?